Booking now open!
Taking place over five days in the Scottish town of Pitlochry, Winter School attracts around 150 dancers from the UK, continental Europe, North America and Australasia. Attendees enjoy a 4-star stay in the Atholl Palace Hotel, with a range of classes, social dances, tours and of course, the famous ball at Blair Castle.
Welcome back to Winter School!
We are delighted to announce that we plan to run Winter School in Pitlochry from 20 - 25 February 2022, government guidelines permitting. We have an excellent line up of teachers and musicians for you - teachers are William Williamson, Sue Porter, David Hall and Fiona Mackie, musicians are Mo Rutherford, Adam Brady, Shona Macfadyen and Neil Copland.
Accommodation will be in the luxurious 4* Atholl Palace hotel, and there are a range of rooms available. Prices include your room, breakfast, dinner, daily dance classes and social dancing each evening, plus a ball on your last night at the spectacular Blair Castle. Check in at Winter School is from 3pm on Sunday 20th and check out is by 10am on Friday 25th.
This year we are also pleased to offer a Class Musicians' Course at Winter School. Please read the FAQ section below for more details.
Below is the pricing structure:
|Double room for single occupancy (SOLD OUT)||£895|
|Single room (SOLD OUT)||£855|
|Shared double/twin room||£795|
|Shared triple room||£700|
Due to the ongoing Coronavirus situation, things are going to be a little different at Winter School 2022. However, we hope that being able to dance together with friends will make up for any minor inconveniences this year. Get answers to our most commonly asked questions below.
Looking for more guidance? Get in touch and we'll try to help.
Click the blue "Book now" button to book online and select your chosen accommodation and class.
No. Please do NOT attend if you are displaying either confirmed or suspected COVID symptoms or have been asked to self-isolate. If you have received a positive COVID test result or have been instructed by the NHS to self-isolate then a full refund for any purchased event ticket(s) will be provided, on receipt of proof. Please email us at email@example.com.
Masks must be worn in the following circumstances:
- Upon arrival at the Atholl Palace Hotel and when you are moving around the venue
- During registration
- Upon arrival at the class venues
- On the buses to and from Blair castle
- Upon arrival at Blair Castle for the Thursday Ball
- During breaks at the Blair Castle Ball where you leave the Ballroom (e.g. to go to the rest rooms)
Masks need not be worn in the following circumstances:
- When you are seated, in the hotel dining room, bar or lounge area
- While dancing, either during classes or social dancing
Yes. If possible, please bring a small bottle of sanitiser for your personal use. Hand sanitiser will also be available at the various venues for use as follows:
- Throughout the Atholl Palace
- At class venues
- At Blair Castle
There are no specific rules on social distancing for this event, though we encourage you to respect others personal space. All tables are spaced 1 metre apart in the hotel dining room.
The current advice from the Scottish Government is that in order to help protect yourself and others:
- if you don't have symptoms take regular lateral flow tests before socialising or mixing with other households in any setting.
Whilst this is encouraged, currently it is not mandatory for this event. As per the Scottish Government advice, we do also recommend regular lateral flow testing.
You must follow any Scottish Government travel isolation requirements if arriving from overseas.
- If you withdraw before 15th January 2022, you will be entitled to a refund of your fees, less an administration charge of £80.00. If you withdraw after that date, you will not be entitled to a refund.
- If, due to circumstances outside our control, we are required to cancel the 2022 Winter School event then we will inform all attendees and a full refund will be provided. The Royal Scottish Country Dance Society shall assume no liability for any losses resulting from individual pre-booked travel. Please check your personal travel insurance policy.
- If you have received a positive COVID test result or have been instructed by the NHS to self-isolate then a full refund for booking(s) will be provided, on receipt of proof. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This course is intended as a tutorial in the playing for Scottish Country Dance classes. Although, expertise in your chosen instrument is by no means essential, you should be personally proficient in the rudimentary playing of basic jigs, reels and strathspeys and preferably have some interest in, or experience of, playing for local SCD classes.
Class Musician's Course attendees will observe the morning dance classes, rotating around the four musicians across the four days.
In the afternoons they will attend a short session with a very experienced musician, to talk through anything that they have seen that morning and also to focus on different key areas of class musicianship each day.
Please note - the Society is offering 2 full scholarships to Winter School 2022 for musicians who wish to attend the Class Musicians’ Course.
To apply, please click the link below and submit your application before the deadline of 7th January 2022.
If you have any questions about either the Class Musicians' Course or the scholarship application then please contact: Moira.Thomson@rscds.org.