The Jigs & Reels pack is a progressive programme of Scottish country dances for teachers of children and young people, produced by the RSCDS.
Scottish Country Dancing is an important part of children's heritage in Scotland. It fits well into the Curriculum for Excellence, particularly in the areas of 'Health and Wellbeing' and the 'Expressive Arts'. The level of physical activity involved in Scottish Country Dancing promotes a healthy lifestyle, which is important for future generations. As children begin to grasp the patterns and sequences of the dances they can then make links with other areas of the curriculum, for example the wheels in technology and geometric shapes in mathematics.
Depending on the children's ability and experience, teachers can begin at a level at which the children are comfortable. When they gain confidence they can progress quickly to the next dance, though one lesson plan may take three or four teaching sessions. Included in the pack are five "party dances", which children may encounter at social occasions such as Ceilidhs or weddings.
CPD - Ideally this resource will be introduced through a CPD session. This would be led by a qualified teacher trained by the RSCDS. Enquiries about engaging teachers should be made to email@example.com.
To view/download the Booklet for the School Resources Pack, please click below:
The pack includes:
- A list of all the dances in the pack and on the CD and DVD (dance and track numbers are consistent throughout) - list also provided below
- An index to the steps and formations included in each dance
- A brief glossary of the simple terms used
- Photographic illustrations of different types of hold
- A two-page lesson plan for each dance (example below)
- A CD of recorded music for all the featured dances
- A DVD containing video footage of all the featured dances, some of which include a voice-over of coaching words (indicated in the index)
To see an example of the Jigs & Reels Pack, please click below. To view footage form the DVD please go to the bottom of the page.
- Jigs & Reels Example
Jigs & Reels Example Lesson Plan
To purchase the pack, please visit our online shop or call the RSCDS office to place an order. We can happily invoice you and work with the school to provide any additional materials you may need.
The dances in the pack are:
- "School Name" Circle
- Happy Hoops
- Charlestown Chaser
- Prince of Orange
- The Flying Scotsman (easy version)
- A Reel for Jeannie
- The Loch Ness Monster
- The Waratah Weaver (adapted)
- Jig to the Music
- The Merry Reapers
- The Flying Scotsman (standard version)
- A Jig for Mrs Dunn
- "School Name" Welcome
- Simon's Dance
- The Bob of Fettercairn
- Galloway House
- The Brudenell Jig
- Lady Catherine Bruce's Reel
- The Maids of Currie
- Easy Peasy
- The Barmkin
- Hedwig's Reel
- The Old Man of Storr
- Granville Market
- Round Reel of Eight
- Canadian Barn Dance
- Circassian Circle
- The Dashing White Sergeant
- Gay Gordons
- Virginia Reel